But where do you start with goals like these? Well, document retention is actually a smart, simple place to begin. Document retention and destruction can improve your company’s efficiency, profitability, and regulatory compliance. Ready to learn how?
What is Document Retention?
A document retention policy can help your business achieve many beneficial goals:
- Regulatory compliance: Depending on your industry, some documents must be retained for specific amounts of time. Destroying or otherwise being unable to locate these documents if necessary could lead to your business facing fines or other issues.
- Increased efficiency: A document retention policy makes it easier for you and your employees to locate documents when necessary. This means less time is wasted sorting, and more time is spent doing the work that drives your business forward.
- Legal safeguards: A well-designed document retention policy can protect your business in case a customer or contractor disputes the services you rendered them, or if they fail to meet their obligations to you.
Document destruction is an important part of a document retention policy
So, to begin the year on the right foot, start by purging any documents that no longer serve a purpose and your business is no longer required to keep. As you purge old documents, make sure to pay attention to the following:
- Which documents do you use the most? Consider how you might process, store, and organize these documents or files to maximize efficiency.
- Which documents are you legally required to keep? If you destroy documents that are requested in a legal case, you could be liable for having destroyed them. Pay attention to which documents your business is contractually or legally required to maintain.
- Which documents are liabilities? Similarly, if you’ve held on to documents longer than necessary, you could risk being held liable if they fall into the wrong hands. By promptly destroying documents that are no longer needed, nor serve any purpose, you keep your business safe from unnecessary litigation.
R4 Services Can Help Protect Your Business
Lost or stolen data costs businesses over $48 billion each year. Don’t contribute to that number. With R4 Services document shredding services, we can help you destroy outdated, sensitive materials, on your site or remotely.
Don’t wait. Protect your business today. To learn more about how R4 Services can benefit your business, contact us today.